10 reasons teachers are on strike today:
- School budgets are being cut by 8% (in real terms) - in a small secondary school that could be £500k with little warning.
- Teachers are being made redundant - including the good ones.
- TAs are being made redundant - reducing the provision for weaker or SEND students.
- Class sizes are getting bigger - less chance of any 1:1 attention.
- Workload is increasing - teaching time/marking etc... something has to give.
- No money for CPD or training - no chance to improve unless you do it in your own time with your own money.
- No money for resources - with new GCSEs and A-Levels beginning which will be harder and more academically rigorous.
- Less money for photocopying, glue sticks, exercise books - it will be BYO everything very soon.
- Less subject choice for students - some schools do not give 'options' at GCSE anymore.
- Less vocational / arts teaching - it's all about a focus on Progress 8.
Education cannot improve, let alone thrive, in these circumstances.
- Read about my current school's financial problems <here>
- Some schools are suffering more than others with this. If yours is not so bad - you are fortunate!